There is no project too small or task too menial that you don’t have to take the proper precautions before a digging project.
- 811 is the national “Call Before You Dig” phone number. It was created to help prevent people from coming into contact with underground utility lines during digging projects.
- The first step in safe digging is to call 811, so before ever starting any digging project, make sure to call 811.
- Always call a few days before a digging project. It takes a few business days for a professional to come mark your utilities with flags and/or spray paint.
- Make sure to tell the operator where you plan to dig and what type of work you will be doing. The 811 operator will route you to a local utility locating service.
- After calling 811, a professional will then be sent to your digging location to mark the areas where public utility lines are buried, free of charge.
- For more information visit http://www.iowaonecall.com/